So, it’s nearly a year since my, er, ‘episode’. The tablets have done what they could. The counselling has accomplished more than could have been hoped for. The exercise regime (amongst other stuff) will continue to keep me on the straight and narrow. Now a few other things have fallen into place and a couple of lightbulbs have appeared above my head.
I’ve since realised that the reason I’ve had a tickly cough for nearly a year is, lucky me, a side-effect to the medication… Now, according to the official website for such things, this is an ‘uncommon’ side effect. According to my other research (at about 3am in the morning), it’s actually extremely common and quite puzzling for those who have it. I, for one, will be glad to see the back of this particular delight. In fact, one night I coughed so hard, I ended up with a couple of floaters in my eye. Not nice for an arachnophobe to have something that really, really looks like a spider swinging around freely in your eyeball!
I say 3am because, as I’ve started gradually reducing my daily dosage, my brain has started throwing tantrums like a toddler. And of course, one of the big things that toddlers throw hissy fits about is going to sleep.
ME: I’m going to sleep so well tonight. I’m shattered.
ME: Come on! Let me get to sleep..!
ME: Seriously? Are you taking the mick? LEMME SLEEP!!
BRAIN: NOOOOOO! I’m not going to let you sleep and you can’t make me! NONONONONO!
ME: Just a little?? Pleeease?
BRAIN: I hate you.
Each night the same so far for a week. I’m tempted to designate a ‘Naughty Step’ and go and sleep with my head on it. I’m joking, of course. There will be no sleep. Perhaps a little bit of headbanging, but that would be it.
And, of course, there are the throngs of students that meander/stagger their way past our place throughout the night. And they’re not quiet.
Here are 4 points they should consider:
- You may think you sound like Michael Bublé or Lana Del Rey when you burst into song. You actually sound like a variety of small household pets being throttled.
- Rethink your footwear, ladies. They can’t be safe. The clip-clopping sounds like the horse fair has hit town. I fear for your ankles. Seriously I do. No, really, I mean it.
- I don’t care who’s cheating on who or who’s been stalking who. It’s a private conversation? Keep it private!
- No, I don’t give two hoots who you think the best/worst football team is. Neither do any of the dozens of people you’ve also just woken up.
- Just wait till you’re my age, sunshine. Revenge will be mine.
5 points. Okay, there were 5 points. You see, I can’t even count these days…! I need to sleep.
Luckily the exercise/running/etc is still going well, so that’s helping me keep what little sanity remains. But let’s just say I could still give Grumpy Cat a run for his money at the moment. Hopefully this will begin to lessen over the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, thank goodness for Flixster…
Saturday, fully prepared for another long clock-watching night, I passed out at 11pm and didn’t wake up until 9am.